Biosecure?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tx_dane_mom, Jan 27, 2008.

1. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    What exactly does it mean when someone says 'No pick-ups b/c my farm is biosecure'? It just sounds like they are hiding something to me...but I'd love to know if it is something valid...
    Kristi

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    boi security on a breeding operation or commercial farm is set up so no one comes in and exposes animals to outside pathogens. Much like the bad example of our CFIA set in the Fraser Valley with AI. Visited several other farms after being on an infected site and exposed other peoples animals that previously where disease free.

So it is valid for some.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It means that they would rather not have someone come to their farm and accidentally bring in disease on their feet or clothing.

No place is absolutely bio-secure, but it helps not to have people in and out of your place. If you check a hatchery, I am sure they would not allow you to visit their place of business.

I know Holderreads in Oregon and Metzer Farms in CA do not allow visitors or people to pick up ducks and geese.

Did you see that on one of my auctions?

Jean

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  4. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    And it can be as simple as Not wanting to get lice/mites from other poultry people.
    AND I know a few who do this now because they don't want to be scoped out for theft later.

5. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    in my opinion it is a valid and responsible approach for persons who are breeding large numbers of birds. many parrot people do this too because there are just so many diseases that are easily transmitted via dander, etc.
    perhaps you could request video access if you are worried about conditions.
    i certainly do understand your concerns!

[​IMG]

6. RepoBob

RepoBob Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    I can understand their concerns. Showing people my chickens and coop and seeing the smiles on their little kids faces is half the fun of this hobby. How much of a threat are pathogins or lice comming in on visitors. What I'm wondering is if its worth giving up the smiles to protect my birds.

Bob

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I had some kids visit my birds last year and lo and behold a few weeks later some started dropping dead-I eventually got on top of the disease but I believe I lost 6 birds and it was very heartbreaking especially because i raised them from day 1 and they were really tame-I later found out that those kids had been around other chickens-------And some flocks are immune to dif. diseases that your flock may not be immune to so other birds wont even be sick but if your birds are exposed they will get sick

8. RepoBob

RepoBob Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Wow Tiki, I'm sorry for your loss. I never would have imagined that could happen. How to people deal with shows. I mean if I had a Grand Champion I'm not sure I'd want to take a chance. Does it make a difference if they spend their day outside. I would think all those germs are in the air. Confinment operations of pigs are very protective, but pigs that are in a lot are not a problem.
    This may make me rethink my procedures.

Great Topic
    Bob

9. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Thanks for all your replies guys. I just don't see me ever doing it I guess b/c of, as mentioned, having people come in and enjoy the birds is a great deal of fun. PLUS...don't these people have normal guests to their homes?? Just doesn't seem all that realistic at someone's home I guess. AND not to forget someone may *come* for a couple ducks, but end up taking home several chickens too...site on is just plain-ol-good for sales. [​IMG]
    Oh and btw, I saw the term on an eggbid auction for a white araucana cockrel that was very pretty.
    Kristi

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Kristi,

That was my ameraucana cockerel. My main reason for the statement is because there is a local person whom I will not name, that lost a bunch of her flock to LT and Pox and I will not sell to her or her friends. It's basically to try to deter her from acquiring any of my birds and send them to their doom. As you can see I also stated I will not sell to unsuitable parties.

There was also an outbreak of LT in the next county over (where that person lives) and I just want to try to protect my flock the best I can. I have 125+ birds right now and I don't want to lose any.

I am not being mean because she was unfortunate that this happened to her. From what I know, in my "opinion" I feel she was irresponsible and has spread disease to other farms and will not take the necessary steps to correct her situation.

Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by