Bipolar Rooster????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fradytrc, Aug 2, 2011.

1. fradytrc

fradytrc Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Central NC
    I have a rooster that I think is a mix between a buff orpington and a rhode island red. He has been my favorite since March shen we hatched our first flock. I had 10 roosters, sold 8 of them and he was 1 of the 2 I kept. He is just a baby!!! He will follow me around and want me to hold him. The last few nights he has been trying to roost alone on my patio, etc and one night he didn't even come home. Well today he just reached right out and bit the fire out of my arm!!! I knocked him in the head. Then a little bit later he nipped at my leg only because I was pretty fast to get away. Then a little bit later he absolutely flew at me and as he was landing on me beginning his attack I knocked him way off of me. What in the world has happened to my baby? I already put one post on here because he was acting so docile but he's gone from one extreme to the other. HELP!!!!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sadly enough very frequently the biggest pets become the most human aggressive because they regard us as equals. He is trying to subordinagte you. Prove that you are boss or his behavior will continue to escalate. [​IMG]

3. GatorChickenRanch

GatorChickenRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Middleburg, FL
    Start holding the rooster frequently, tucking him under your arm. Continue to do this for a few weeks, or until you notice signs of change. This will show your dominance over him. Good luck with your baby and i hope he turns around! [​IMG]

Oh, and [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  4. farmerOwl

farmerOwl Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]
    holding them by thier body, letting the legs hang free seems to work really good. Its not recomended to hang a chicken upside-down as this can kill them. The legs hanging free keeps them from trying to fly out of your arms. Good luck!

5. GatorChickenRanch

GatorChickenRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Middleburg, FL
    Quote:Probably should have never recommended the leg thing, it didn't seem safe to me. *Brain fart*

6. 5parrots&zoo

5parrots&zoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    My Brooster loves to attack my toes. I attribute it partly to the fact that I keep him isolated from my hens, and feel he is probably "frustrated". I have also heard that a rooster will aggressively protect his hens, depending on the breed, some are more aggressive than others. I have been holding him tucked under my arm every day, and this seems to be helping somewhat.

7. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:agree with farmerOwl!

8. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh no the hormones have taken effect. You just don't know how a rooster will act until the testosterone kicks in. Talk about classic adolescent delinquency- he stayed out all night. The attacks of course are nothing to joke about, and I'm sure its pretty upsetting. Is he dominate over the other cockerel or did he stay out all night because the other ran him off?

You can try to demonstrate your dominance by pushing his back and head down and gently but firmly pinching the back of his neck then hold him there until he submits. You might want to wear glasses and jeans around him until you figure out how to address his behavior.

9. 6chick*start

6chick*start Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    NE OKlahoma
    My favorite chick turned into a roo. 9 girls and Pierogi. He was always held the most and was the sweetest.
    At 19 weeks now the ungrateful sh*t is attacking me all the time!
    I really want to keep him so I will try all these 'taming' measures.
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

10. fradytrc

fradytrc Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Central NC
    6chick*start :

My favorite chick turned into a roo. 9 girls and Pierogi. He was always held the most and was the sweetest.
    At 19 weeks now the ungrateful sh*t is attacking me all the time!
    I really want to keep him so I will try all these 'taming' measures.
    Thanks
    http://inlinethumb50.webshots.com/48945/2730853900101606522S500x500Q85.jpg

I have never seen a chicken like this....even in pictures.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by