Bird #2 will signs of disease, but which one?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mcdaid36, Jun 29, 2010.

1. mcdaid36

mcdaid36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    This is the second hen we have with these symptoms. The first one ended up dying about 3 months ago, this one seems like it is headed that way any day now as well. They start out being lethargic, sleeping a lot standing up, comb flopping over and going pale. The first time this lasts about 2-3 days, then they snap out of it. It could be a week or two later when it happens again. It keeps happening, lasting longer each time, for about 2 months until the hen can't snap out of it and passes away. The hen gets very thin, not interested in eating, stools are very very watery (basically it's only water because there is no food going in). When the second one came down with this, I gave her a dewormer right away to see if that made any difference and maybe that was the issue but there was no change. I am stumped, and since this is the second bird with this, am wondering what it is I'm dealing with. No other issues - breathing normal, no mucus from the eyes or nose.
    Any thoughts?

2. mcdaid36

mcdaid36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    Anyone have any ideas? My second one just died today.

3. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Given the large flock you have, I think it would be wise to get a professional diagnosis through a necropsy. Refrigerate the bird until while you seek out a lab to do that for you. So much better to know precisely what's wrong so you can try to protect your other birds. If you do that, would you come back and let us know how it works out for you?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by