1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bird bath heater in water container?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 2468Chickensrgr8, Nov 3, 2008.

1. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Good morning everyone ....just wondering if anyone has used a birdbath water heater in their chicken waterer?How did it work for you? Did you have it inside the coop or outside? Thanks
    I have been looking at a heated dog dish but I think my 20 chickens would either drink it all up before the days over or make a total mess of it....

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I put my waterer inside the dog dish. That seemed to work fine last year.

3. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    So is your water plastic or galvinized (sp)....and did you place it up higher?.....thanks

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Just keep in mind that a birdbath heater is meant to be used outdoors. Does it have a safety label? UL or whatever...and can you keep it away from bedding and burnables?
    [​IMG]

5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    If you check on the chicken coop section of this site, there is a discussion going on there about making a small solar water heater. Interesting!

6. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    thanks

7. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    they make a pan type heat that you sit the waterer on top of,

8. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:My chicken waterer is one of the plastic red and white ones, and the electric dog bowl is the plastic one--both items bought at TSC. I put the bowl on a cinder block in the barn. Ice would form at the top of the waterer, but there was always water available coming out of the hole to the red part.

9. 2468Chickensrgr8

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Merci "Buckets" ! Every one !

10. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:De rien!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by