1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bird Cage Protectors for Small Coop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheBrumstead, Jan 20, 2012.

1. TheBrumstead

TheBrumstead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    My husband and I are (foolishly) watching Infested! on Animal Planet... The one family had bird mites in the house. They showed a part of an article where it said "chicken coop". Now he's convinced that my girls are going to get mites and they are going to come in the house. I'd rather not put chemicals on the birds. Can I use a Bird Cage Protector in a small coop? My coop is 4x4.

Here's what it is if you're not familiar with house birds:

http://www.petmountain.com/product/bird-supplements/11442-504383/bird-cage-protector.html

2. americanvalkyrie

americanvalkyrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    Reno, NV
    It looks like it's made for a much smaller area. Have you thought of diatomaceous earth? It's a mined natural product that saps out the moisture from an exoskeleton animal, so it's used for a lot of organic pest control. It's not dangerous to the family or pets, but you won't want to breathe it in or handle it with bare hands because it's extremely dehydrating to your mucous membranes.

Basically, it's fossilized algae that has been dug up then ground into a powder. You sprinkle it on the bird or in the litter, and the food-grade kind can be fed to them for deworming.

http://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?session.category=Poultry Supplies&grd_prodone_filter=PRODUCT%5fID%20%3d%20%27RLE10%27

(Hoping the link works.) If not, check out Meyer Hatchery for a product called Red Lake Earth, or you can get it at a greenhouse or garden supply store.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  3. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Both useless, sorry. Frontline drops or spray, or Ivomec Eprinex work wonders for mites and lice.

4. americanvalkyrie

americanvalkyrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    Reno, NV
    Good to know! I haven't yet dealt with the problem. [​IMG]

5. TheBrumstead

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    We haven't had any issues yet either. I used the Protector when I had my parrot, but it never had access to wild birds, so don't know if it actually worked or not.

Yes, I'm familiar with DE. We have some leftover from using it in the house to get rid of fleas. Didn't work, but did kill ladybugs, and killed our vacuum.

6. TheBrumstead

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    I didn't know you could use Frontline on chickens. The cat or dog one? Do you use it as prevention, or after you see a problem?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by