Bird Dog and Chicks-Scary/Funny Story

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by feathers_3, Apr 19, 2012.

1. feathers_3

feathers_3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I have a good funny story for ya! It scared the mess out of me when it happened but now it's actually kind of funny. Enjoy!

My younger brother lives with me and he has a 3 year old bird dog named Candy. Candy is a beautiful black lab who LOVES birds and tries to "stalk" my older birds. I have my 8 chicks in cage type brooder. One day I had Candy out of the pen letting her run around. I had just planted a Jasmine bush in my yard and was taking the shovel back to the barn. Out comes Candy from under the shelter with a red chick in her mouth peeping like crazy!! She thought she was bringing me the chick. Thankfully she knows her commands and has a "soft mouth." I screamed at her to drop the bird. She did and I scooped it up, wrapped it up in my shirt, and went to make sure all my other babies were okay. They were so I put Candy up and ran to the house with the chick not knowing if it was bleeding or what. I got it to the house and inspected it and it was unharmed. It just had dog slobber on it, so I wrapped it in a towel and held it for a while so it would calm down. After it calmed down, I put it back up with the others and it's doing perfectly fine. I made some alterations to the door to make it more secure and now she cant get in!! But that almost gave me a heart attack!!

2. LoweBow

LoweBow Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    My bet is Candy knew exactly what she was doing by not harming the chick. My bird dog learned quickly that chickens were friends and has taken to the chicks claiming them as his own. They now follow him around the yard like "Momma". Sounds like Candy is a good dog!!![​IMG]

3. feathers_3

feathers_3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    She is a very good dog!! I'm just afraid Candy may accidently hurt one so I don't let them mingle. My jack russell, Dixie, actually got into my chicken pen last year and killed one. So I worry about the dogs getting them. But I guess she thought she was bringing me a chick to play with!! It's actually kind of cute since the chick did not get hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by