Bird dogs and hobbies farm?

Debski777

Chirping
10 Years
Dec 31, 2012
Is it possible to have both as pets? I found a German chocolate- wirehair (possibly mixed) at the pound and signed up to adopt him. Tomorrow's the big day and I was having thoughts of chicken feathers flying! my dogs have always respected things I know are mine and have left the chickens and hens alone even the duck. I hope this would be a thing that works out. if anyone has any ideas go ahead and share. Thank you!

How old is he? If he's younger you may be able to slowly introduce him to them and act as if they're the same..in a way I guess. What I'm saying is if he's younger, then yoiu can raise him up with them and he'll be fine..

Not necessarily. I got a border collie puppy & raised her with my free ranging chickens. When she was 5 months old I came home to find her mauling a hen. Whipped her with a stick. Came home 2 weeks later to find her eating a hen.

Well, with most dogs it works that way anyway. My German Shepherd puppy hates our Yorkie, so she probably will always hate him. Some dogs are like that, where if they're raised with something they might not still be necesaarily used to them.

I have one dog i’m Pretty sure is part coyote, we were worried about her before we got chickens. She turned out to love the chickens and would even herd them around the yard, she even had a favorite one and would literally play chicken with it. The other more docile dog we have turned out to be the issue, he was literally salivating the first time we ever brought home pullets. We kept a close eye on him with them, but eventually one day one of the dogs dug into the coop and released the chickens and 3 were killed. We’re 99% sure it was the dog that had salivated over the pullets... We tied one of the dead chickens around his neck for a day and he got the message. Now he just walks away or looks away whenever the chickens are out and about.
We just got a rhodesian ridgeback puppy so we’re a little worried as they are hound dogs and he has already exhibited some pointing. He has chased the chix a couple times but he seems to understand they’re off limits. Regardless i think it will be many months before we allow him unsupervised time with the chickens when they’re freeranging...

Yeah these rhodesians are a boar breed so I think we're going to have to pay extra attention with him around chickens etc. The breeder had him around horses and other livestock but i'm sure he doesn't remember most of that...

Yeah my Mountain Cur (Tater) was raised around horses, so we figured she'd be okay around cows and pigs. Nope. Attacked them and got kicked and bit, and a few broken ribs later, she stayed away.

Back
Top Bottom