Bird down

Starr78

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2017
Alaska
My birds were attacked by a fox, lost one. Another is now dragging one leg, there is no visual damage. I have foot wrapped so he can still use to walk, unwrapped foot is being dragged over snow making it raw on the top side. I'm open to any ideas or tips Thanks I cut down tree limb fox used to get into duck pen.

Last edited:
My birds were attacked by a fox, lost one. Another is now dragging one leg, there is no visual damage. I have foot wrapped so he can still use to walk, unwrapped foot is being dragged over snow making it raw on the top side. I'm open to any ideas or tips Thanks

Bring her inside or some where warm with Vitamins in her water.There are chicken hammocks for chickens with a broken/hurt or sprained leg.

278bfaabd6b630ea9d098950b7bbc2b5.jpg

Last edited:
I would bring the injured bird inside so you can monitor him better. To minimize the dragging of the foot, you could put him a sling like Master of Clucker mentioned. Or, at least keep him in a small, warm area with feed and water nearby so he doesn't have to move as much. Put some poultry vitamins, if you can get them, in the water and offer plenty of nutritious feed.

Does it seem like it could be a joint problem? I would recommend feeling all parts of his leg, comparing what you feel with another, healthy bird's leg if necessary. If it is a joint or bone problem (like a break or dislocation), time would be the best healer, although depending on the severity of the injury, it might be best to humanely cull the injured bird.

I'm sorry for your loss to the fox.
hugs.gif
Hopefully the injured bird will recover.

After fox attack, foot, leg, swollen 2 toes are broken on that same side. Lots of bruises, now looks a Lil frost bite. Can't do another vet trip. Thank for all tips.

Thanks my roune was a surprise he was supposed be a sexed female swede, like my others. I got from local farm, then when he got his curly tail feathers we knew he was a boy lol the farmer was surprised that a rogue roune had apparently found a home with his flock. He offered to replace him but I couldn't part with him, he is the sweetest duck and loves to snuggle under your chin always comes when I call his name.

Back
Top Bottom