Bird Eggs - Dead or Alive? Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by psung, Aug 18, 2013.

1. psung

psung New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    Hello,

I'm new to the forum here. Was wondering if you pros could give me some insights on this.

These are sparrow-type eggs.
    I've tried "candling" them and the eggs are definitely fertile but they could be late death, I'm not sure.

I took this picture with flash. Both have an air space in them and the one on the right has a dark spot in it. The one on the left appears somewhat darker. Upon candling them I notice there are veins inside the eggs. These veins aren't red in color but appears to be black. No movement whatsoever.

[​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Thank You

2. sarah2202

sarah2202 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    Make sure you keep them warm, I think it's a constant 100 F. I think if they die the black spot disappears. check them every couple of days. You could even mark where the bubble is every time you check, make sure you hold the egg in exactly the same position each time, and mark it, if the bubble is shrinking then they're growing. Good luck

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    If they hatch feed them moistened can dog food.

4. psung

psung New Egg

Aug 18, 2013
    Checked the eggs earlier today and it appears that one of them has white fluid leaking out of it. What could this possibly mean? I'm pretty sure this one is a goner. :(

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    doesn't sound good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by