Bird feed

Jul 22, 2021
Idk the brand of it, my mom gave it to me when she heard doves were nesting in my hanging planter, I put out 1 feeder and they never touched it and neither did any other birds, I caught my kids sneaking bits of it to eat though lol. Is it ok to give it to the chickens?

Probably fine as a treat. My kids keep wanting to eat the black oil sunflower I give to the chickens, too, AND the dried mealworms, because they smell so good :lol: I'd let them, and try them myself, if it wasn't that I don't know what dirty warehouse they've rolled around in. I buy human-grade black oil sunflower seeds for us to eat, either roasted or raw (to roast myself). Their shells are thinner and much easier to crack than the shells on the striped sunflower seeds commonly sold for human consumption in the US. In other countries (that are more into eating sunflower seeds), the black ones are more common, because they are easier to open, and they are selectively grown to get large, too (not like the tiny ones we buy for birds here).

I buy the 40lb bags of wild bird feed to use as scratch for my chickens, it's more expensive than scratch but I figure the protein levels are better and it's not mostly corn.
If it's whole grains, like a birdseed mix, it should be fine as a treat. I recently looked into dove feed, as I have a family of Inca doves visiting my chicken run this year, and it was mostly the same stuff as scratch grains - millet, milo, wheat, corn, etc.
There is no corn in it, aside from sunflower seeds I couldn't tell you what the other seeds are. I tossed 1/4 of a cup where they're always scratching up the dirt for grass roots and they ate all the sunflower seeds but didn't really eat anything else, though I didn't sit and watch long to see if they went for anything else.
I don't think a tiny bit will hurt the chickens, but it isn't nutritionally designed to nourish them, either. I wouldn't feed it to my chickens.

BTW, how did the kids like it? :lol:
The kids love it for some reason, now that they know where I store it I've caught them climbing up in the closet to get more lol thinking about finding a recipe similar to pregnancy/nursing cookies that uses all seeds but get food grade seeds so they stay out of the bird feed lol. There are worse things they could be eating, I don't discourage trying new things but not animal food 😆

Back
Top Bottom