bird fight

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kimberleymichele, Aug 26, 2010.

1. kimberleymichele

kimberleymichele Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    Ft Wayne
    I live in a older residential area of the city. I was riding my bike near the river and came across a turkey vulture and 4 crows arguing over who would get the dead squirrel. The vulture won. Not quite as exciting as the morning I looked out the window and a hawk was sitting on my fence, but close. ( and no, the chickies are in my friend's yard. He doesn't get as much wildlife as I do)

2. kimberleymichele

kimberleymichele Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    Ft Wayne
    Update: we've had a hawk visit the girls twice (that we know of) now. It sits on top of the run we built for the hens. The first time, I had fed and watered them, but forgot to open back up the pop door. I can just imagine how they felt, cowering in the screened (but open) bottom of their coop with a hawk drooling over them 3 feet away.[​IMG] I felt so bad when I realized what I had done.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Somewhere I have photos of a turkey vulture red-tail hawk aerial squirmish that we just happened to be in the right place and time to observe.

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Don't worry..if your birds are larger birds, most hawks won't take a second glance. We had a hawk that would sit on the kennel RIGHT OUTSIDE OUR BACK DOOR!!!! And just watch inside the house. I went to take the dogs out and opened the door and that hawk took off...scared the poo out of me.

It would be there every day for hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by