Bird flu info?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 3nglishteacher, Jun 23, 2008.

1. 3nglishteacher

3nglishteacher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2008
    Please excuse my stupidity in asking this/these questions. My first flock of chickens - 16-ish wks old. Today my son (21 y/o) woke up with a nasty chest cold--very sudden. I'm thinking back over the last few days activities and remembered -- please, don't laugh -- that our very healthy acting chickens have been sneezing. At least I think it's a sneeze .... sounds like when my German Shepherd bites down on his squeeky toy!

I know chickens w/ avian flu strain don't really get the "flu" but my weird mind started connecting dots that probably don't even exist! What must I watch out for for avian flu? They have total freedom over 14 acres of woods and pasture, a 9x12 coop at night. Have always fed them Purina. And we always wash our hands when we come in. Are we safe? Are they safe? Thank you!

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I would have your son looked at for possible broncitis, or "walking" pneumonia, something like that. Some chicken diseases are communicable, true, but I would worry more about things like mono, meningitis, strep and the above. . . . Hope your DS is well soon!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by