1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bird flu

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by arabookworm, Nov 7, 2008.

1. arabookworm

arabookworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This is probably the wrong place to post this, but I'm a little lost with the new forums.
    anyhoo, my mom was wondering if it is possible for any chickens we get to get avian flu.

thoughts?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Not very likely but I'm sure it's possible. I would not bring in any new birds to your flock and you should be fine. IF you do bring in new birds be sure to quarantine them for 30 days before letting them near your flock. That is for ANY illness that bird may have. Just be cautious, keep other birds away and keep your coop clean and you should not have to worry. With all the members here I don't remember anyone ever having it.

3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

The bird flu is mostly spreed by other birds. So its best to keep other wild birds away from your chickens. Bio security is the best defense to the Bird flu or any other disease

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Do you have a sick bird ?? What is he/she acting like ??

5. Just dont order your chickens from Asia!

6. arabookworm

arabookworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Quote:Do you have a sick bird ?? What is he/she acting like ??

I haven't got my birds yet in the first place, just thought I'd ask

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by