Nadiia

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 1, 2014
London
Hey guys..

Another silly post from me! I was wondering if you can catch bird flu from chickens??

I recently hatched a chick but she was the only one out of twelve so we bought her another chick so she wouldn't be lonely, the new chick is a good couple of weeks older but they're very close now and he's very protective of her..

The man that we bought the chick from had loads and they all lived outside. I've notice that since we've had him, he's been sneezing a lot and it's been going on my hands and near me. Obviously I wash my hands after but I just wanted to know it I should go to the doctors or if they can even detect it??

The signs your chick is demonstrating are not consistent with bird flu. But, what you are seeing is a very good example of why many of us keep a closed flock and never bring in birds from other sources.

The signs your chick is demonstrating are not consistent with bird flu. But, what you are seeing is a very good example of why many of us keep a closed flock and never bring in birds from other sources.
So what do I do? I couldn't leave her alone, chickens are flock animals.. And she was very lonely.

You continue with what you are doing. Yes, they are flock animals, and if I had a single chick, I'd get it a flock mate or two. Best practice does not always trump the common sense reality of a situation.
Sorry I don't quite understand what the last part of your reply means?

Means: best practice, or best choice would be to not bring birds in from outside sources. But, sometimes that becomes necessary: like in the case of a single hatchling that needs a friend.

Back
Top Bottom