Bird got stuck in torrential rain, bummed about it. *semi graphic pic*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckcluck42, Aug 16, 2010.

1. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Songster

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Saturday night around 4am a torrential downpour started. It lasted til about 11am Sunday. Huge storm, it was quite impressive and as it turns out, deadly.

Well, despite having done the nightly coop checks that night, one of my blue Ameraucanas was out and I found her in stuck in the poultry net the next day. It was terrible. It looks like she was trying to get back to her coop but just ran out of energy and the rain just pounded on her. I was crying and my boyfriend came out to put her in a garbage bag when lo and behold, I see her mouth move. I take her into the house, put her by the furnace and turn it on. I used the blowdryer on low setting to get her warmed up. I rubbed her gently trying to get her circulation back. We wrapped her in a towel. Slowly but surely she got life back into her. By that night she was standing and opening her eyes. She would not drink or eat so I mixed some sugar in water and spooned it into her mouth. We put her in the bathroom in a box with food, water and a towel and went to bed. The next morning she was gone. [​IMG] What could I have done differently? I feel so terrible, I know we didn't do anything wrong (I don't even know HOW she got out of the coop, I had no idea she was out) but I feel guilty all the same. This is the first older bird we have lost, she was around three months old.

Here is a picture of when we first brought her into the house, she looked so awful. Then, hours later, she was all fluffed up and moving around. Poor thing [​IMG] My boyfriend doubts he would have noticed her mouth open if I hadnt been there, so I thought it was really lucky that I made myself be there (this stuff bothers me). But instead, by being there I just prolonged her misery and it was all the same in the end anyways. I can't believe she is dead, she seemed so alive before I went to bed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. slackwater

slackwater Songster

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Oh, how awful! It really sucks when accidents like that happen. Tonight we had a torrential downpour here, and one of my RIR hens didn't make it back to the coop. I'm alone with the kiddos this week, so I can't launch a chicken-hunt...so I'm just hoping and praying that she's battened down some where. The truth is, accidents happen and chickens die [​IMG] I'm sure that doesn't make it any easier, but there isn't anything else you could have done. At least you tried! [​IMG]

3. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Don't think you prolonged her suffering. Yes, she passed in the end, but at least she passed warm, dry and in the quiet instead of outside in the dark rain or soaked and scared in the bottom of a garbage bag. I'm sorry for your loss, you did everything you could have, sometimes things just happen. [​IMG] Don't beat yourself up about it. Like slackwater said, You tried! You gave her more of a chance than a lot of hens get. [​IMG]

4. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Songster

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Quote:I keep telling myself that, that these things happen and it wasn't our fault. I feel so bad that I couldn't save her.

I bet your hen will be okay, that same night there were some other of my birds that were out. They insist on sleeping in the trees, little buggers. I ran out to let them into the coop at 7am and besides being pretty wet all of them were perfectly fine. Trees provide pretty good coverage. I've had two hens stuck out in the rain before and they were right as rain (woops, unintentional pun) the next day.

5. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Songster

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Quote:Thank you, you're absolutely right. I get teary thinking about it. It's hard to think she was so all alone and cold and afraid out there and I was sleeping not 10 feet away. She did not die alone, and I know I should be happy about that but I keep thinking "what the heck was the point of her being alive when we found her if this is the outcome."

6. BWKatz

BWKatz Songster

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Please take comfort in the fact that she was cold & afraid. Now she's in Poultry Heaven [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Most likely the shock to her system was too much to handle. I agree with sixlittlechicks09, at least she was warm and dry when she passed. I wish you the best.

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well darn! Seemed like you had her warmed up and recovering. These things happen. [​IMG]

9. turtlebird

turtlebird Songster

Dec 11, 2009
    Oh thank you for noticing that little movement so you could dry her off, warm her up, make her all beautiful and love her before it was time to go! [​IMG] Death happens and you filled her last bit of time with the wonderful compassion of the human heart. Hats off and big hug.

10. BB Ranch

BB Ranch In the Brooder

Aug 16, 2010
    I think you did a very good job or resuscitating her. My americaunas are always out in the rain and won't take cover and they get sopping wet all winter long. Perhaps it was an injury and there was little you can do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by