1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bird Grit and Gravel....ok?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ma & Pa Peeper, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Ma & Pa Peeper

Ma & Pa Peeper New Egg

Jul 21, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    Hi Chicken Gurus!

I've been "peeping" for awhile now, but this is my first post. I have gleamed a wealth of information from this site, and I thank you.

But like any topic, there seems to be a difference of opinion.

Concerning grit for my babies (4 Buff Orp hens, 4 Silver Lace Wayandotte hens, 1 Silver Lace Wayandotte Roo, 2 wks old today):

I purchased "Bird Grit and Gravel" from the pet section at Wal Mart believeing it to be safe. Now I have seen another post that says it is not.

Should I remove it immediately? My chicks have been pecking on it.

Thanks in advance!

Ma and Pa (old timers back into chicken keepin' for pets and eggs and fun after a 50 year hiatus![​IMG])

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    what i have heard - i may be wrong by the way [​IMG] but i think that it is only bad with calcium??? thats just what i thought but dont trust me on that i might be wrong

3. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I don't know why it would not be ok for them. What's in it? Mine get small rocks from the ground and eat some play sand out of the dust bath area I made for them that they don't use.

At 2 weeks old they may not need it unless you give them treats. They already have grit in the chick starter feed.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  4. Ma & Pa Peeper

Ma & Pa Peeper New Egg

Jul 21, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    It is extremely fine sand. The ingredients are: Gravel, Calcium Carbonate, and Sorbolite Clay. Its made by Hartz.

I tried the play sand thing,too, for dust baths, and they had alot of fun walking around and pooping in it, but no bathing! They finally dug down deep enough through their pine shavings until they stuck gold, aka dirt. (We have a dirt floor coop, with a cement foundation.) Now the dust bathing is in full swing! I found the play sand, which I bought from Home Depot, was not "fine" enough. Pebbles were way too big. I threw it all out into their run, and they can use it for grit when they are big birdies.

For now, I have removed the Grit and Gravel. Our chicks seem to be health nuts. They will have nothing to do with ANY treat we have tried, they only want their medicated chick starter.[​IMG] The only thing they dabbled in was a bit of crumbled egg yoke.

Only my second post and I'm already blabbing away......................

Any more comments re: the grit are greatly appreciated!

5. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    The Walmart bird gravel is what I used for my chicks and they have all been healthy and happy. I gave it to them at about 5 weeks with egg yolks I just sprinkled it on like salt! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by