Bird id please?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by JulieNKC, Oct 2, 2011.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    We went to the zoo today and this little bird flew over to my daughter and sat there singing to her. I couldn't find the little sign that said what kind it is. Does anyone know? It was in the aviary in the african section of the zoo, if that helps any.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    Isn't that sweet??? I have no idea, but it sure seemed to like her and not be afraid![​IMG] I will be watching to see what kind.

3. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    It's a little hard to tell from the pick but it looks like a Lilac-Breasted Roller. Looks like ya got a future zookeeper there!

4. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:That looks like it! It was a beautiful bird and it just stayed there by her until some other kids came over and it went back into the trees. I thought it was pretty neat, she's used to the chickens running up to her and expects it from all birds, lol.

5. greenacresinNE

greenacresinNE Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Papillion, NE
    Definitely a Lilac breasted roller....here is a picture of one I took in Kenya:
    [​IMG]
    They are beautiful birds

6. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    I have to say, I am a zookeeper in a bird department and I LOVE that you looked for a graphic to identify it. Most people don't even bother to look, not to mention post a question online about it! You rock!
    Green acres, that is a beautiful pic!

7. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:Thanks, lol. I try to look for the signs, I don't want to sound like some of the idiots I heard today. There was one lady that took her kids to see the "sheep" (llamas) and another that was telling everyone with her all about the 2 baby gorillas (females, not babies). And not 5 feet away from either of them was the little placard with the species info. The names and ages of the gorillas in the enclosure was right next to that lady, her kids were trying to correct her, but of course she was right and they were wrong. Oh, and the little potbellied pig in the petting zoo area got called a warthog by the llama lady too, lol. [​IMG]

8. JulieNKC

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:Beautiful picture!

9. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Quote:Cool picture! I will have to look for one of those next time I'm in Kenya. What part of Kenya were you in?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by