Bird is pecking at herself and drawing blood ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brooklynbirds18, Oct 20, 2013.

1. brooklynbirds18

brooklynbirds18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2012
    Arizona
    I have a Rhode Island Red and she has been biting herself at the bottom of her belly. We thought she was molting or something like that but it's gone on for very long and no longer think its a usual part if a molt. She doesn't really have many feathers down there but she bites at what looks like a little scab. It's a little spot and she pecks at it every couple of days, and when it draws blood it gets very messy. The other girls don't bother her which is a major plus but she doesn't get any better with whatever it is she has. Her beak is always covered in blood and we usually out something on it so she stops pecking, but it's only for a short time until she starts again.

Anyone know what it is ? Got some pictures too. The last two are the clearest of the scab, and there is some flaky yellow skin I noticed as well closer to her chest on the other pictures. Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

A little hard to see in the pic's but could it be a broken off feather that's infected or ingrown?

3. brooklynbirds18

Nov 30, 2012
    Arizona
    Well there is a feather that comes out of that scab, and yeah it is hard to tell. I don't even know if its infected or ingrown or what, just looking for some suggestions I guess

4. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Have you checked for mites? You may dust her with seven dust as a precaution.

5. brooklynbirds18

Nov 30, 2012
    Arizona
    What are mites? How can I tell of she has them and what is seven dust? Sorry never had to deal with it before.. Is there any food I can feed her to fix it if it is a mite or worm or parasite? I don't think this is apart of the molting process..

Also my Ameraucana has a slightly broken beak and I'm getting very worked up over this, how can I deal with this? My Ameraucana is our sweetest girl.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by