Bird lice in a large flock

L&Schickens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Washington State
I recently purchased a large flock of white homers. (I am getting into the "White dove Release Business) They seem to have a lot of lice/mites. I have over 80 birds in 2 large flights right now. Is there anything I can do to kill these nasty bugs through feed or water, or will I have to re-catch every bird and spray each one?
Thanks!!!

Ivomec injectable 50ml, 1% injectable cattle ivermectin mixed in water 1cc per quart of water/4cc per gallon. The mixture is the only water the birds get for 2 days, 3 days can be done as well. Change it out each day. Retreat in 14 days for lice/mites...same amount of days and change outs. Please note: This is for chickens...but ivermectin has a good margin of safety and should be safe for treating your doves.

Last edited:
Thak you sooooo much!!!! what a BIG help. I will get some tomorrow. Thanks again!!!!
hugs.gif

I had 60+ birds to spray, so I mixed up a cattle/poultry spray solution in a garden sprayer and misted them while they were on the roost. According to the directions on the bottle of Permithrin stuff, it sounded like that was how they intended you to apply it.

It was definitely faster and easier than dusting them each with 7 dust, which is how I first treated the heavily infested individuals.

I normally use a garden sprayer, but I don't think it gets under the wings and vent very well. I did spray them before I let them out in the loft, but I caught a bunch today to check them and they are still covered in bugs.

L&Schickens :

I normally use a garden sprayer, but I don't think it gets under the wings and vent very well. I did spray them before I let them out in the loft, but I caught a bunch today to check them and they are still covered in bugs.

ah, mine were mostly infested around their heads

and like I said I did take special care to treat the worst cases individually, spraying all of the coops was just in case, ya know? But when I read the instructions it sounded like that's how they expected you to apply it. It said one gallon per hundred birds or something like that.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom