Bird Limping w/ Weak Legs

birdsintrees

Hatching
Apr 12, 2023
Hi I have a sweet australorp hen who is almost 3 years old. She hasn't laid since her first molt. Around this time, we noticed she was sitting around quite a lot. It didn't seem to be a big problem, but we took her to the vet anyway. The vet said that she seemed fine, but that she noticed the leg weakness. Over the last two years, she's slowly gotten worse. Now she limps around whenever she walks.
Some things to note:
- No injuries or other illnesses
-90% sure she's vaccinated for Marek's, & none of our other flock has any of her symptoms
-Whilst she wasn't receptive to poking her feet, she also wasn't receptive to any other kinds of disruption or light pinching
-She sleeps in the nesting box and not on the roost
-She has two flock mates who are physically well
-When we carry her around she is bright, happy, and adoring
-I can feel her keel bone, and it is noticeable when she is not eating enough
Thank you for any advice!

What's her diet? Have you tried vitamin therapy
She has general laying hen feed, plus occasional treats and grass. She has access to the feed at all times, but only the grass when we let them out of the run (lots of hawks and coyotes)
I have not, what would be the best way to go about doing that?

She has general laying hen feed, plus occasional treats and grass. She has access to the feed at all times, but only the grass when we let them out of the run (lots of hawks and coyotes)
I have not, what would be the best way to go about doing that?
I'd find a nice higher protein layer for her, 16% layer often doesn't have enough nutrition for laying birds.
To treat vitamin deficiency, you give her one vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for about two weeks.

I'd find a nice higher protein layer for her, 16% layer often doesn't have enough nutrition for laying birds.
To treat vitamin deficiency, you give her one vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for about two weeks.
She doesn't lay eggs anymore, so I don't know if that changes anything. I'll try to find some resources for vitamins, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom