Bird Line up, or Get out of our way!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by toto65, Aug 19, 2010.

1. toto65

toto65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Holland, VT
    Last weekend we finally got my outdoor run set up for my chickens and turkeys. Because I still don't trust them not to get out of the run, they are only out if someone is home. Yesterday my husband got home and went to let them outside. He went through the coop to their door and before he could open it he heard a stampede behind him. When he looked there were ALL the birds, line up against the wall, waiting not so patiently for him to open the door and let them out! As soon as the door was open he had to brace himself as there was a big rush to see who could be the first out the door! I guess the chickens were not too bad but when the wave of turkeys hit him.... I wish I had a hidden camera in the coop to record that! [​IMG]:weee

2. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    [​IMG]

I have the same problem...piles of chickens fighting for the chance to be the first one out the door...

3. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    that is funny to bad you didnt have a camera on hand, mine do this to, so i stand to the side, today i am putting in a pulley system so i can do this from the outside hehe

4. Humble Homesteader

Humble Homesteader Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2010
    I leave the chicken door open to the pen 24/7 they come and go as they wish. But when I go to let them out to free range, it's another story. Typically my rooster Rocky tramples back and forth pushing and shoving to be the first one out. The hens just stand there and wait patiently. When I open the door, Rocky is always the first out, then the hens quietly walk out. But once the hens are out, they usually take off flying to stretch there wings I guess. I usually have to wake my chickens in the morning. They seem to want to keep sleeping in. I think it maybe cause my coop is pretty dark. I plan to put some windows in it soon.

5. toto65

toto65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Holland, VT
    What is so funny is that they don't do this with me, I guess they think he is a pushover, literally! I found out last night that if they don't want to go in at dusk, all I have to do is turn the hose onto mist and spray into the air, the turkeys make a beeline for the the door, that way all I have to herd is the chickens at least!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by