Bird making weird sound

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EinStein chic, Mar 13, 2015.

1. EinStein chic

EinStein chic Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2014
    Please, I need your help. I have a bird who acts like it's choking but it is pecking and drinking fine. This bird tweets a lot so it sounds really funny. What can I do to help this bird? Please help

2. EinStein chic

Jun 10, 2014
    The bird also doesn't feel like it has anything in its throat. It is deprecating itself from the flock though ,

3. posoh

posoh Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2015
    Seneca, Wisconsin
    I had that happen with a hen over the summer. I scooped her up and massaged her neck. It seemed to me that, like people, she had a partial blockage. Still getting air and all. Maybe it was coincidence but she was fine afterwards.

4. EinStein chic

Jun 10, 2014
    Hmm. Just tried it. She still is making the noise with nothing in her throat. She will only breathe out her mouth

5. EinStein chic

Jun 10, 2014
    What can I do to help her?

6. posoh

posoh Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2015
    Seneca, Wisconsin
    Have you tried giving her maybe a soft ball of bread in case there is a little bit of something in there? The one girl I mentioned gave me fits all summer with this kind of thing. Maybe as we sometimes get a hair caught maybe she has a feather? Or something environmental such as sand, dust, small twig/leaf...

7. EinStein chic

Jun 10, 2014
    Huh. Ok I'll try that . Cuz she is pecking the ground and that but it sounds like a choking sound. I don't know if she got in her lungs either. I even looked down her throat and nothing

8. EinStein chic

Jun 10, 2014
    Can birds survive if they get they get things in their lungs?

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry about your bird!

I had a similar issue last summer. I used so many things to help clear her throat up. Vaginal cream, yogurt and several medications. I finally used a sock cut in half and put it on her neck to correct her posture. She was fine in the morning!

Make sure she is drinking! Most important thing!

10. EinStein chic

Jun 10, 2014
    She a drinking . She is one of my talky birds. This is an unusual sound. It's almost like wheezing , but nothing is down her throat. She talks , but only breathes out her mouth

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by