Bird nightmare

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by FeatherMommy, May 17, 2010.

1. FeatherMommy

FeatherMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I haven't been on here for a few days because I have been having issues with my password which actually turned out to me being an idiot. But anyways I have been in bird nightmare.

First off Navi decided to completely hate my cockatiels who he has been raised with and has been fine with up until 2 days ago. He started attacking my poor cockatiel which now has a scratch on his side because of it. Yesterday morning he seriously jumped him and that was the last straw. I wasn't going to keep him locked up in only one room because then sylar would want to stay in that room and it wouldn't be fair for her to be locked up too when she is such a sweet little girl so I found a home for Navi at a really nice place with lots of chickens and loving children to give him attention.

So sylar was extremely upset that her buddy was gone and frankly so was my daughter so I went to the local feed store and bought a hen..When I got home I found ALL my baby sparrows were out of their cage. I couldn't find them anywhere. I don't know how it was possible for them to get out of their cage. The bars are close enough that it CANT be a problem and the doors on the cage were closed. I spent all day looking for the babies and finally found 1 in my daughters room squawking for food. I was upset by the time it was time to call it a night because I had 3 missing babies. Then I went to go tell the little chick goodnight which btw I had noticed wasn't walking well. When I was checking on her she had a seizure right before my eyes and passed away. At that point I was about to have a breakdown. What else could possibly go wrong?!?!

So this morning my husband wakes me up as he was walking out the door to go to work and informs me that one of the baby sparrows is on the PORCH OUTSIDE...and is dead. what in the world?!?! How did it get out there?!?! I am totally clueless as to how all this happened. I really am.

So at this point I had to give away one chicken, one chicken died, and 3 sparrows are gone...AAHHHHH The whole past couple of days has been really sucky.

Then my husband gets home and informs me that I have an appointment with a guy that has a chicken farm and to go pick out what ever I want. He felt soooo bad that I was having so much trouble. Bless his heart. I told him at first that I really didn't want to go pick out another chicken considering all that had happened. Maybe I should just stick with the animals I have. And he was like look, sylar is whining non stop, our daughter is upset too, and so are you. Go get another bird to cuddle with. I finally gave in and drove the hour to the chicken farm and ended up leaving with a beautiful female Plymouth Barred Rock. She is so sweet and has the most serene cluck I have ever heard come out of a chickens mouth. She is the same age as sylar I believe and she towers over her. It's is halarious. I was worried how they would get along until they got used to each other but they just look at each other and cluck. So I guess that is a good thing. I will miss my other fids though. [​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] for you and your family - what a day that was.

Hoping that the rest of the week has been calm.

3. FeatherMommy

FeatherMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for your well wishes. So far things have calmed down lol I've currently been putting my energy on building a new big cage for my birds. The only thing that is holding me up is the lack of a saw...Which I will be getting very soon i hope lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by