1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bird Not Eating or Drinking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zabrielle23, Mar 28, 2015.

1. zabrielle23

zabrielle23 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2015
    tylertown, ms
    One of my hens is not eating or drinking anything. I have not seen her poop since I put her by herself yesterday. See lays down or stays in one spot for the last couple of days when she was with the other birds. I had her with a rooster and another hen and I am unsure if she has ever laid any eggs since I have had her the past couple of months. She also had clunks of poop stuck to her feathers. We bought her inside today and cleaned her feathers and they look better now. But she still wont eat except a few leaves here and there. We put our grass shaving in the cage for our birds and she wont touch them. I am running out of ideas and I am worried about her. Another bird that was bought from the same guy we got her from had clunks of poop stuck on her feathers we did the same thing with her. And gave them both some B-12, Wazine wormer, and some cast oil with sugar. The second one who is a barred rock ate it fine from a dropper. The RIR would swallow it but is not eating. The barred rock is back with the other barred rocks and acting fine. Although I think she is the roosters favorite because you can see where he puts his claws on her back alot. We also put mite and lice powder on them both. Anyone have any clues. Also I have 30 eggs so far outside but my hens are not siting on them other than to lay another egg.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You could check inside her vent with a finger 1-2 inches for a stuck egg--wear a rubber glove. You shouldn't leave eggs out in the coop for chickens to sit on them. Wait for a hen to become broody first, then after a couple of days collect eggs for her to sit on. Be sure and date them when you place them under a broody hen, so that you will know when they will start hatching and also can tell if anyone lays an egg in the mix, so that you can remove it. If your sick girl is a new member of the flock, then she could be suffering from coccidiosis, since new soil may contain a different strain of cocci that she isn't immune to. Corid, a cattle medicine is the best treatment for cocci.

3. zabrielle23

zabrielle23 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2015
    tylertown, ms
    thank you. In your personal opinion which is best allowing the hens to incubate the eggs or doing it in the incubator in a house. the eggs that are outside should they just be thrown away. Also one of the hens is laying on the eggs at night. So take hers or not

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by