Bird Parentage Testing Kit?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bigchicken2, Jul 25, 2010.

1. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    I'm looking for a bird parentage testing kit for my poultry. I don't want dna-sexing I want parentage testing. I want a kit not testing If it's a kit I'll pay up to $500.00. I want it to show grandparents and maybe even farther. I want it to connect to my computer to see the test results. I don't need this now I was just wondering because it would make it easier to breed poultry. I will need it when I start my hatchery tho.

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Is there even such a thing.
    How does it work, do you use a blood test.

Chris

3. bigchicken2

May 17, 2010
    I dunno. I don't even know if it exists! I think it would use a blood test.

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Maybe you should patent that idea.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I don't know how you could test parentage without DNA testing. You might be able to write a program to predict one parent if you know the offspring and the other parent--kind of a reverse of Henk's Chicken Calculator.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    get him on the Maury show, quick! [​IMG]

7. bigchicken2

May 17, 2010
    I thought blood testing was DNA testing. OK DNA testing. But I'll have purebred flocks so I won't know what parents there are because the chicks mostly look the same.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    A cheap, easy way to do it is to have each hen in a pen marked with food coloring on the cloacal opening. When she lays the egg, the color you've selected for her will rub off on the egg. Mark the egg as you see fit to keep it separated from other eggs in the same pen. It helps to have the hen numbered for future references.

When the chick hatches, mark the toenails either with toenail polish or by removing toenail, however you want to do it. Once older, you can put a leg-band around the leg with the beginning number of the hen that was the mother. So, it's your first bird from that hen, using a permanent marker, put the number 1-1, etc.

I wouldn't even bother with the DNA testing as chickens do not follow the same line of pedigree information that dogs, horses, etc. do. I'd begin your record-keeping with the current parents and go from there.

9. bigchicken2

May 17, 2010
    I have more than one roo in each pen. I have 40 roos and 60 hens per pen.

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    When I read this post I decided to check out your BYC page. Do you actually have any experience with chickens?

*Edited by staff*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by