bird pecking itself

Discussion in 'Quail' started by yallapilko, Nov 29, 2012.

1. yallapilko

yallapilko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    Hi,
    One of my girls was pecking all the others, so I separated her, only to find that she pecked herself until she bled, on her rump and wing.
    Any ideas what the cause could be?

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    My guess would be a protein deficiency or boredom. Perhaps start by increasing her protein and seeing if there is a change. You could also give her some sort of flock block or treat ball that requires effort for her to get snacks to fight boredom. Overcrowding can also cause pecking and the behavior can be habit forming.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  3. Ghostbelly

Ghostbelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    check for bugs just in case

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    doh. I should have thought of that first. Good suggestion.

5. Ghostbelly

Ghostbelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    :D happy to help!

6. yallapilko

yallapilko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    Thanks for your replies!
    The protein level on the food should be correct technically, so, I'm guessing at boredom, (I separated her out for a couple of days as she was viciously pecking the entire flock, and now herself!). Were you thinking something like hanging up a fat ball for her to jump up at? I'm not how to make treats difficult for quail! It's not something I'd thought of.
    I also checked through her feathers and mites don't seem a problem, but I treated her again just in case.
    Also, I thought maybe she could be defiiceitn in feather making materials, so I've added some sesame seeds as an extra.
    Anyway, if someone can maybe give me tips on how to make a quails life more interesting, please let me know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by