Bird Rescue around Burbank, CA?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by RavenStorm, Apr 15, 2009.

1. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Hey peoples, someone who knows that I have chickens contacted me today asking if I could take care of a baby bird that fell out of it's nest. I know nothing about wild birds, but it needs help from the sound of it as there is a broken bone or two in this poor little thing. The person who contacted me is in Burbank, CA. Does anyone know of a wild bird rescue organization or person in that area?

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I wish I could help, I am sorry I can't, I just did not want to see your post not answeared.

3. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would call your humane society and see if they know someone/group that could help.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Depending on the kind of bird, it could be a member of the Bald Eagle Counters. Big Bear is a large habitat and they are always searching for people to county and track the birds. They come from all over SoCal. Call the City offices up there and I am sure they can tell you if someone in Burbank is involved.

5. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Thanks for the support peeps. My first suggestion to her was to get in touch with a local vet or the humane society and she just let me know that she went to both. She apparently took it to a vet and he surprisingly set the baby's broken bones and put splints on it, and then she took it to a rescue group suggested by the local H.S. so hopefully the little one will make it.

Side note: the mud swallows (not sure about their real name, that was just Grandpa always called them) have returned and have gotten busy making the babies. I'm not exactly sure how but a baby fell/was pushed/was taken out of one of my neighbor's nests and somehow ended up in my yard where the chickens range during the day. I caught one of them with it dead in it's beak getting ready to eat it and I was able to take it from her and dispose of it. Should I be worried about any diseases for this and possible future encounters?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by