bird seed for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lovin my girls, Jan 25, 2011.

1. lovin my girls

lovin my girls Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2009
    Hi,

Is it o.k. to give chickens bird seed for a treat? I was curious on this.

Thanks.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't see why not. BOSS, sunflower seed, is used by many and quite beneficial. I'd watch at first to see if they leave a particular type of seed untouched.

3. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    Bird seed is fine (they're birds aren't they?). I would not make it a major portion of their diet however as it lacks the protein and calcium and other nutrients of commercial layer feed. Most comercial bird feed is only 8-10% protein...ok for wild birds that don't have to lay every day. I use it as a treat however and they love it.

4. lovin my girls

May 28, 2009
    Thank you all.

We only give bird seed as a treat. They are on regular chicken feed and do get scraps from our food.

5. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I've seen my two 'free-ranging' Buckeye girls hanging out under the birdfeeders every day, enjoying whatever the wildlife knocks out of the feeders...they have their own Layena about 10 feet away in the shed, just seem to enjoy the thrill of the hunt I guess, especially with 4-5" of snow covering the ground. And I too have thrown a handful or two out to the rest of the girls when I'm out of their other treats...they enjoyed the treat.

6. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    I have inside birds...ring neck doves, finches and button quail. I empty their Used" food dishes into a chicken dish and take it out to the girls---they love it.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have bird seed in my homemade feed mix (millet, sun. seeds, and nyjer thistle seed). They love it.

8. lovin my girls

May 28, 2009
    Thank you all for your help with this.

9. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by