Bird Seeds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MissChessy, Feb 5, 2008.

1. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    [​IMG] You know I was wondering why we can't feed our chickens some of that fancy bird seed they sell at the stores. Some of those seeds contain dried fruit and all kinds of other seeds. Wonder if it would hurt to give the chickens this treat every now and then? Any ideas anyone?

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens eat all the seed from my bird feeders that falls to the ground........they haven't had a problem with it as far as I can tell...

3. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    The owner of Dixiebirds.com where my Silky Serama Bantams and Americauna pullet originated, told me wild bird seed was healthier for chickens than chicken scratch and/or corn! He claimes the sunflower seed oils and millet are very nutritional and beneficial to chickens. My 3 new chicks sure will miss the cracked corn, but all FOUR birds go crazy for wild bird seed.

4. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    :)Hmm, that sure is good to know. I think I'm going to pick up a bag of bird seeds with millets, fruits, sunflower seeds, etc... and see how my girls like it. Will keep you posted.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The only problem I know of is there is a hatchery that recommends no fruit for hens or it interupts the laying of eggs.

There was a problem on the boards once and it was determined that fruit had stopped some hens from laying.

I have never withheld fruit from any of my chickens but this does give pause to think.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  6. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Last year I bought a 50lb bag of BOSS and 50lbs of millet to mix up for the wild birds but my bf kept giving it to the chickens. They loved it!
    I didn't realize it was better for them but now that I know I guess I will have to mix some up for them again too [​IMG]

7. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I had a big bag of wild bird seed left over from when a beautiful white dove came to live on my front porch for a while. I've been giving it to my chickens for a treat. Glad to know that was okay.

8. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    The most common ingredient in wild birdseed is millet. Pearl, foxtail, and proso millets may be used.

All of them are also grown as forage and hay crops. They are also all used somewhere in the world as food for humans.

It may be best to think of millets as a treat for chickens rather than an important part of their diet. They could be a little higher in protein than corn but not by much.

If there is concern about the other ingredients in birdseed, it might be an idea just to buy straight millet.

Steve

9. gmc

gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2007
    Clay City, KY
    I feed my hens bird seed all the time. I buy it at the feed store in 50 lb. bags. I have on occasion bought cockatil food at walmart as well. I can't amagine this hurting them. They love it and lay like there's no tomorrow. This however is only given as treat in small qtys. Its about 11% protein, so it does offer up a bit more variety in their diet. They love it.

gmc

10. bjcoop

bjcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Western New York
    I bought a 50 lb bag of plain birdseed for my feeders, and my hens share it. [​IMG] They absolutely LOVE it. Especially the black sunflower seeds. And...they have been laying like crazy all winter long. [​IMG] Hope it continues....
    ----------------
    16 spoilt chickens, 1 13yo rescue chicken-hound dd [​IMG] dh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by