Bird toys?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nyxish, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Nyxish

Nyxish Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2009
    So my mom loves the chickens. It's kind of adorable. She asked me if the chickens would like bird toys - like parrot toys? - for the coop for Christmas. And i... have no idea. i'm kind of assuming they are uninterested. But... i might be wrong.

Do chickens and/or guineas like toys?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  2. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

Kinda new myself but I think they'd enjoy a head of cabbage or a butternut squash more than a toy. Food is mostly what they are looking for. Have fun! [​IMG]

3. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I don't think so, but you can hang a head of cabbage in the coop and it will keep them entertained, but my personal favorite is buying a bunch of crickets and taking them to the center of the run and turning them loose! I love watching them chase crickets all over the place, it is hysterical!

4. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    I've wondered this myself when I go to Petsmart and wander through the bird aisle. I do feed my girls millet stalks for parrots and they love them. They also get a head of cabbage to poke at and they love this as well. I'm thinking they wouldn't be interested in toys, per se. But I am relatively new to chickens, so who knows?

5. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    that's a good question. I've never heard of anyone doing that, but I don't see the harm in it, especially if they're spending more time cooped up if it's cold where you're at, might help liven things up a bit [​IMG]

6. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    They would probably only have interest in toys that dispense food. There is a parrot toy that is a round wire ball you can put treats in. It usually comes with a bell too. I think they would love that. My chickens didn't care for cabbage, but you could put whatever yours like in the ball.

They might enjoy a new roosting "toy" for the run

7. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    my chicken loved mirrors![​IMG]

8. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I've heard of putting a shiny CD for them, I think I'll try it tomorrow.
    Must be careful how you attach it so they can't get caught up...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by