Bird Veterinarian Certification

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by nook addict, Jul 24, 2011.

1. nook addict

nook addict Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    At B&N
    Hi there,

I am planning on getting my DVM to be a general veterinarian, but being so close to birds that I am I want to be certified as an avian veterinarian. I was just curious how this certification works? I haven't been able to find concrete information. (<- This is after a four year program to get a masters of Biology, then the four year doctortae program at MSU.)

Thanks!

2. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    Apparently you have to take the North American Veterinary Licensing Exam after getting your doctorate, then take a residency program and then get certified with the American Board of Veterinary Practitioners (this is gleaned from ehow). I think the word "certification" really does not describe enough the rigor of becoming an avian vet. And this is why I didn't become a dermatologist [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  3. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:The only thing about being an Avain vet is you may have to give up chickens depending on what you do. If you work with parrots and hose hold birds no. But if you live in a rual area you may have to as local hen houses may "rent you out" to do test on there meet birds

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    If you're talking about being board certified, you have to go to vet school, then do a 1-yr internship, then a 3-yr residency and then pass your board exam. If you like parrots and others exotics it may be worth it, but if you're just talking poultry nobody's going to pay you well enough to make it worth your while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by