Bird with mild respiratory symptoms not eating and made to drink

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickory, Jan 21, 2014.

1. chickory

chickory Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    blue ridge , georgia
    I apologize in advance for asking about this - I have read literally every "respiratory infection" post on here and dont see a similar situation. My Golden Phoenix gapes (not worms, we did swab test) and makes occasional sneezy chirps but has no classic symptoms like a runny nose or bubbles coming out of eyes. Her eyes are nice and clear and her face looks normal. I have had her on anibiotics since Friday and I see no improvement (it's Tuesday now, so 5 days of treatment) Now she isn't eating, seems to peck at and reject all food. I make her take drinks. When we were looking for gapeworms, we noticed small bumps on her throat. I have her on SpecLinx 50 which is a brand of Lincomycin Spectomycin. I isolated her from other birds at first sign of trouble and all the other birds are fine. I dont see how she will get well if she wont drink the medicine. Or can I force drink her and get it done.

Any thoughts?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Do a search on wet fowl pox and see if that matches what you are seeing.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would check her crop--perhaps she has a candida or yeast infection that is making her throat sore. I haven't treated any of those before, but sour crop can be fungal. That can be treated with Nystatin by prescription or Medistatin, available online.

4. chickory

Feb 16, 2009
    blue ridge , georgia
    Thank you - dont think it is pox there are no lesions, no runny nose and her eyes are clear and bright. The symptoms are an occasional chirp sneeze; not eating or drinking; and gaping. I just read a post about a chicken who died of eating a string. My chicks free range all over the place who knows what they can find. But - I did see (i think) little bumps on her throat.

5. chickory

Feb 16, 2009
    blue ridge , georgia
    thanks, Eggcessive - crop seems fine no bad smells coming off this chicken; none of the signs - I have seen sour crop before.

this. is. mystifying.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  7. chickory

Feb 16, 2009
    blue ridge , georgia
    Thank you Eggcessive - im looking into it now, though her poo is very firm and normal - not much of it though.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Offer her some soft scrambled egg or moistened chick feed--they will usually take that easily. She could also have a virus since she is not responding to antibiotics. If she won't drink and eat you may need to think about tube feeding her. A piece of aquarium tubing from Walmart with the sharp end rounded off with a lighter, plus a regular 35 or 60 ml syringe can be used--here is a link about that: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by