1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Bird with mild respiratory symptoms not eating and made to drink

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickory, Jan 21, 2014.

1. chickory

chickory In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    blue ridge , georgia
    I apologize in advance for asking about this - I have read literally every "respiratory infection" post on here and dont see a similar situation. My Golden Phoenix gapes (not worms, we did swab test) and makes occasional sneezy chirps but has no classic symptoms like a runny nose or bubbles coming out of eyes. Her eyes are nice and clear and her face looks normal. I have had her on anibiotics since Friday and I see no improvement (it's Tuesday now, so 5 days of treatment) Now she isn't eating, seems to peck at and reject all food. I make her take drinks. When we were looking for gapeworms, we noticed small bumps on her throat. I have her on SpecLinx 50 which is a brand of Lincomycin Spectomycin. I isolated her from other birds at first sign of trouble and all the other birds are fine. I dont see how she will get well if she wont drink the medicine. Or can I force drink her and get it done.

Any thoughts?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

Do a search on wet fowl pox and see if that matches what you are seeing.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would check her crop--perhaps she has a candida or yeast infection that is making her throat sore. I haven't treated any of those before, but sour crop can be fungal. That can be treated with Nystatin by prescription or Medistatin, available online.

4. chickory

chickory In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    blue ridge , georgia
    Thank you - dont think it is pox there are no lesions, no runny nose and her eyes are clear and bright. The symptoms are an occasional chirp sneeze; not eating or drinking; and gaping. I just read a post about a chicken who died of eating a string. My chicks free range all over the place who knows what they can find. But - I did see (i think) little bumps on her throat.

5. chickory

chickory In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    blue ridge , georgia
    thanks, Eggcessive - crop seems fine no bad smells coming off this chicken; none of the signs - I have seen sour crop before.

this. is. mystifying.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  7. chickory

chickory In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    blue ridge , georgia
    Thank you Eggcessive - im looking into it now, though her poo is very firm and normal - not much of it though.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Offer her some soft scrambled egg or moistened chick feed--they will usually take that easily. She could also have a virus since she is not responding to antibiotics. If she won't drink and eat you may need to think about tube feeding her. A piece of aquarium tubing from Walmart with the sharp end rounded off with a lighter, plus a regular 35 or 60 ml syringe can be used--here is a link about that: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by