Birders? We need an ID on this fella. Body shot on #15

Camelot Farms

Chickenista
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
VA,TN,NC Tri-State area
DD rescued this little fella from the jaws of death...literally. Our mouser decided to be a birder today.
We live in Southwest VA if it helps...any ideas?

33499_dscn0564.jpg

33499_dscn0579.jpg

33499_dscn0567.jpg

After making sure he had no wounds, we put him on the ground where he hopped off into the pasture. He seemed to be able to fly but was choosing not to.

Last edited:
Female.
Maybe flycatcher of some kind.
Definately NOT a seed eater.
Maybe even a juvanile starling etc...
Other than that I can't help...I'm a West Coast guy.

Last edited:
Not a mocking bird... definitely female... I agree its a type of bug eater... I wish I could grasp the idea of what it is, but its not coming to me right now.

Looks like a female cowbird to me, not having seen the rest of it's body. It's too big and it's beak is too long to be in the warbler family, and I'm quite positive it's not in the thrush family either. Nope - it's a cowbird. If you hear it's song/call (or that of others in your area), and it sounds like gurgling water, that's what it is. They're native to the U.S., but, due to logging in the East and expansive grazing/logging in the West, it's home range is now the whole country. Only problem w/that is that it's a nest parasitizer - the female lays her egg (just 1) in another species' nest. The baby cowbird grows extremely fast, and literally pushes the other babies out of the nest. The cowbird chick then has the unsuspecting "foster" parents' undivided attention, growing rapidly (and up to 10 times the size of the parasitized species!).
NOPE - I'M WRONG! The bill on a cowbird is thicker and shoter - my bad. Now I'm saying a female grackle....

Last edited:
the more I look at it the European Starling (juvanile) jumps out at me. They range all over.
350_european_starling_3.jpg

the color, head, and bill shape give it away. Compare to above...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom