1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Birders? We need an ID on this fella. Body shot on #15

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Camelot Farms, May 25, 2010.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

DD rescued this little fella from the jaws of death...literally. Our mouser decided to be a birder today.
    We live in Southwest VA if it helps...any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After making sure he had no wounds, we put him on the ground where he hopped off into the pasture. He seemed to be able to fly but was choosing not to.

Last edited: May 25, 2010

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

How big is he? Looks like some kind of warbler. We have prairie warblers and pine warblers up our way.

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

He's pretty big. More like Mockingbird or Catbird maybe?

4. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    Female.
    Maybe flycatcher of some kind.
    Definately NOT a seed eater.
    Maybe even a juvanile starling etc...
    Other than that I can't help...I'm a West Coast guy.

5. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Songster

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Oooo! My speciality! Hm... Not a Juvi Starling (brown, not grey) And Def. not a seed eater...

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Not a mocking bird... definitely female... I agree its a type of bug eater... I wish I could grasp the idea of what it is, but its not coming to me right now.

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC

8. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Songster

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    My list so far....

Western Wood Pewee
    Say's Pheobe
    Townsend's Solitaire
    Northern Mockingbird

9. thebritt

thebritt Songster

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Looks like a female cowbird to me, not having seen the rest of it's body. It's too big and it's beak is too long to be in the warbler family, and I'm quite positive it's not in the thrush family either. Nope - it's a cowbird. If you hear it's song/call (or that of others in your area), and it sounds like gurgling water, that's what it is. They're native to the U.S., but, due to logging in the East and expansive grazing/logging in the West, it's home range is now the whole country. Only problem w/that is that it's a nest parasitizer - the female lays her egg (just 1) in another species' nest. The baby cowbird grows extremely fast, and literally pushes the other babies out of the nest. The cowbird chick then has the unsuspecting "foster" parents' undivided attention, growing rapidly (and up to 10 times the size of the parasitized species!).
    NOPE - I'M WRONG! The bill on a cowbird is thicker and shoter - my bad. Now I'm saying a female grackle....

10. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    the more I look at it the European Starling (juvanile) jumps out at me. They range all over.
    [​IMG]
    the color, head, and bill shape give it away. Compare to above...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by