Birds and Beds...(chickens, Peafowl and flowerbeds)

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by msmolly, Aug 17, 2013.

1. msmolly

msmolly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2013
    Gates Mills, OH

Thought I would share- I have finally solved the problem(for me atleast), of how to keep the chickens from scratching all the mulch out of the flowerbeds, messing up the edges and also scattering the pachysandra plants all over the driveway. I must give credit to Ramoan the landscaper for this. At first, I thought it was a big mistake- no way would the pachysandra grow through these rocks, but, they do, and have flourished! Before, my beds were pathetic visions of scattered mulch, and an occasional plant, (usually a weed) that survived the chickens scratching. Ramoan filled the bed with rocks! On my flower beds he just bordered them, but it keeps the mulch off the lawn, the chickens out( off the edge at least), and the pachysandra border on the drive is thriving. The only thing I would reccomend for others, is to trench the edge a little deeper, so the rocks can't roll out as easily. The third picture shows one part of the bed that looks like "before" and further down the bed the progress the plants have made growing right through the rocks!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]First two pictures are a new border put in the flower beds. The 4th pic, with Blue the peacock shows how the plants have thrived. YAY!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  2. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    Very nice and great progress those plants made. Love the last pic with the peacock in it too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by