Birds and the Bees with my Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JakRat, Nov 20, 2011.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    SOOOOOO how old do roosters and hens have to be to start making babies? I have 2 roosters that arent crowing yet but are trying to "date" the girls. The one rooster who is crowing is a banty and just doesnt seem interested in "dating".

This is the first time I have had roosters so I am just so unsure of how that works [​IMG]

2. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Our dear Owl, started crowing before he tried courting, but then his ladies were not ready for that part of the courtship yet. [​IMG]
    Once I saw him doing the "Man Thing" I knew the girls would be laying soon. My middle sized BR "Baby Girl" was the first on his list, and about a week later, she laid her first egg. [​IMG] This went on for just over 2 weeks, then he was courting our largest BR "Fiesta", and a week later, she started laying. So I take my cue from my boy, if he is chasing them, then about a week later, I will get eggs from them. He has been doing the "Man Thing" with the last two EE, so I am on the bench waiting for a blue or green egg. I have one EE who has been laying for a week, 2 on, 1 off, so in a week, I got 4 green eggs.
    He was 16 weeks when he started getting the "Urge", and Baby Girl laid her first egg just before she turned 18 weeks.
    Owl is very frisky in the morning when they are let out of the coop, and about 45 min before they go to bed. He has 14 hens, but is only chasing 12 right now. My Light Brahmas are a month younger than Owl & the older 9 hens, so I don't expect anything for another 2 - 3 weeks.

3. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I have eggs from 3 of them... one I am not sure who is laying it. One of my EE's and its an olive egg but very small... I have a regular sized ee and a bantam ee. None have gone brody yet, but I wasnt sure if when they started sitting on them if I should take them out, candle them, then put them back???

4. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Oops, sorry mis-understood. Because my hens eggs shells are so darn hard, I crack them in a separate bowl, just to make sure I don't get any shell in what ever I am using them for. Any hoo, I would say 8 out of 10 are fertile. Mine just lay & leave, so mine are not broody yet, am waiting till spring to try for chicks. By then I will know if my Silkie, Nonnie is a girl, or some of my hens may go broody, and I will be also getting an incubator.
    I want to try with my own eggs, before I send for hatching eggs, then if I mess up, it will just be my own eggs, and not something I really wanted to hatch & messed up on. This winter will give me the time to read up on everything & learn what I need to do to hatch happy healthy chicks.

5. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:Cool! What do fertile eggs look like on the inside?

6. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    There's a light colored dot in the yolk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by