1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Birds are leaving my figs alone.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by PhilErvin, Sep 20, 2010.

1. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Has anyone else noticed birds leaving your figs alone? Usually the local birds help themselves to my delectible figs. This year I have found that my girls and roo hang out in the shade of the fig tree and birds seem to be leaving the figs alone. [​IMG] Could the birds be afraid of the chickens? By the way, if want to plant a tree that is easy to grow and your chickens will love you for, plant a fig tree. Be sure to protect the root ball with avery wire as the pocket gophers love the roots. I always have plenty of figs to share with my girls.

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I have about a 24 hr. window to get my figs between ripening and when the wild birds eat them. Somehow they know when the fig is perfectly ripe. My chickens just learned how delicious they are. Last week I looked out to see all six of my girls jumping up and down trying to get the low-growing figs. They looked like popcorn bouncing up and down. Is there anything better than a perfectly ripe and freshly picked fig?

3. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    So far my girls haven't discovered my 6 figs..
    Those dang bluejays and catbirds are always after them. And if its not a bird its ants...! Its gotten so bad, there is no such thing as a tree ripened fig around here..! I have to pick them just when they are starting to ripen, or i get none...
    I hope my ranging hens don't develop a taste for figs...!!

4. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Get a black hose and loop it through the branches of the fig tree. It works great to keep the squirrels and birds out of the tree - they think it's a snake.

1 person likes this.
  5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:I'm going to give this a shot today! I have an old hose that would be perfect. Thanks for the idea.

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:I have never heard of this method! I have some old soaker hoses laying around, I think I am going to give it a shot! Sure wouldn't hurt to try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by