Birds at an animal shelter - can you help identify?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BarnyardPunch, Sep 10, 2009.

1. BarnyardPunch

BarnyardPunch Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2009
    Hello chicken experts!

There are a few birds that arrived at a local animal shelter that I'm trying to identify. The picture is pretty grainy because with the lighting and the birds flying about, it was near impossible to get a clear shot in.

[​IMG]

The birds are classed as chickens. They have fairly curved beaks and are very, VERY flighty. They look to be the size of maybe a 10 week old standard chicken, but some of the feathers are pretty developed--though they are missing a lot of feathers and have bald spots. They seem a little more upright than my hens (RIR, EE).

Two have pale legs, one has bright yellow legs.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

2. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Does the one in the background have the same coloring as the one in the front?

3. BarnyardPunch

May 25, 2009
    Yes, they all have similar coloring, but are missing many, many feathers. I don't think the bird in the back is as colorful as the one in the front, but she (I'm assuming "she") has NO feathers down her back :-(

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Look like some sort of American Game type fowl to me. May even have some oriental game mixed in, taking in consideration your comment about them having a more "upright" stance.

5. BarnyardPunch

May 25, 2009
    Yeah, they look really "gamey" to me too. They were strays, so it's hard to say.

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:I agree, though we know American gamefowl has oriental in it to begin with, and most have the very upright, proud stance since that's one of the main features of a game [​IMG].

I would say they're young, probably not over 3 and a half months... Looks like you may have a little pair too (front being a cockerel (Stag) pullet in the back).

7. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    The one in back kind of looks like my welsummer from the neck up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by