Birds don't want to go into coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carress, Dec 4, 2008.

1. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    For almost a month, I have beenhavingto goout, and put the birdsin the coop, I have thoroughly checked for predators, and I know there's been a badger around OUTSIDE the coop at least once, but nothing inside- and the coop is really solid. The birds will even stand outside in the rain.

So, nightly, I go and pick up 4-5 protesting birds and tos them in. The others will sometimes follow, and other times I have to chase the majority of them inside.
    The food and water are inside the coop. They have a perch they all share comfortably. I tried leaving the light off b/c I thought it was confusing them.

It usedto be a hilarious scene, me yelling at them to go inside, them tryign to run from me, and 'squatting' when they couldn't get away, running back out after I'd tossed them inside- it was like a cleaner version of Benny Hill or something...
    Now it's just annoying. I didn't let them out this evening b/c I'm too tired to chase them..

WHY are they doing this?

2. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    After I finished my new coop/barn https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=14471-coop-layout I had to get the three groups of different aged free range chickens used to staying in their new digs. The youngest group was easy cuz thats where they were put right out of the brooder even tho the coop wasn't finished yet. The middle group were kept in a rabbit cage at night and never missed a night. I moved their cage about 20 feet closer to the new coop every day. Finally I caugfht them after dark using a flash light. I left the two groups in the coop for three days before I let them out. I had to chase a couple in for two evenings but they got the idea. The oldest group was the hardest. They were used to being in a chicken tractor at night but they prefered to roost on top of the chicken tractor even in the rain. I moved the tractor just like the rabbit cage and locked all of them in for 3 days. They were like the second group and I had to chase a couple in for a few nights. I will add here that after the last move with each of the portable coops It was moved out of their range so they wouldn't be tempted to go back to their old diggs.

It sounds like a lot of bother but it wasn't really that bad, Just 10 or 15 minutes each night. I don't know any other way I could have done it. This was all planned out with ideas I got right here on BYC. Good Luck

3. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Try locking 'em in there, all day, with no food, just water. Then before bedtime feed them in there, with the door shut. They'll roost, and usually go back to the place where they woke up. Chickens are creatures of habit like some two-legged creatures I know. [​IMG] They will appreciate the coop, I'm sure!

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have given them some of their favorite treets in their coop in the eves. They usually are birds of habbit. Once I start something like treat time, they come to expect it and go in for their treats.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Lock them in the coop, for at least a week. Once you start letting them out again do so an hour or so before sunset and gradually increase the time, 2 hrs. before sunset, etc.
    They'll eventually get the idea that the coop is home and will seek it out to be safe at night.

6. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    I left them in for two days, and I still had some trouble tonight.
    I will try Monday and Tuesday leaving them inside.
    I'm scared to take away the food b/c I don't want anyone getting beat up.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hi..i had this trouble also...i find that mine simply just wont go in till dusk...if i have to get them in any earlier..forget it!...[​IMG]...but..they DO go in every night at dusk by themselves.......will they go in by themselves at dusk?..or will they not go in at all...at any time?, Wendy

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  8. line-rat

line-rat Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2007
    west central ohio
    My flock would not go in the coop at night. For the longest time i would have to go out and put them in at night. This is at 2am. When i got home from work. I work second shift.
    Well it is so cold here in west central Ohio, now they stay in the coop most of the time. They will come out for treats though.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree! Don't take their feed away from them. I don't believe in denying food or water to any creature.
    You're probably going to find that locking them up for just two days, Monday and Tuesday, is not going to be enough. It'll take a week, if not longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by