birds everywhere

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PhxFlock, Aug 24, 2010.

1. PhxFlock

PhxFlock New Egg

Aug 24, 2010
    My girls have full access to our yard & coop all day, and are closed up in the coop at night. Problem is feeding - I keep water in & out of the coop, and the feeder inside. So that means I have to keep the door open in order for them to have access to their food during the day, which also lets in every !&*$* pigeon and bird in the neighborhood! I hate to close the coop up during the day and the girls seem to not want to eat at night (they just go in and go right to sleep). Am I worrying too much (they'll surely eat at night if they're hungry, right?)? These uninvited dinner guests are eating me out of coop and run! help!

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hi PhxFlock, I was having the same problem. [​IMG] I took a square piece of shade cloth and cut strips into it to hang over their door. I first put it up high and then moved it down an inch every couple days until it covered the doorway. That way they didn't freak out and learned gradually that it wasn't a threat or a solid wall. Then I made another one for the opposite side of the wall so that there is a double curtain. So far, so good. I'll see if I can post a pic later. I agree, they are maddening and I also worry about what kinds of problems they might be carrying in with them. [​IMG]

Oh, BTW, [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (edited to welcome!)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  3. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I don't keep food in the coop except in the winter. My girls don't eat in the coop at night even in the winter, once the sun sets they go to roost & don't get down until the morning.

4. toto65

toto65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Holland, VT
    Do you have just a "bird door" or a full size door? My birds only eat while it is light out, once it gets dark they just shut down and go to sleep. well, except for the rooster who seems to be an insomniac!

[​IMG]

5. PhxFlock

PhxFlock New Egg

Aug 24, 2010
    You all are awesome, ok - I only have a 'regular door' so I'm thinking I'll cut out a bird door and then try the "curtain" method...I'd love to see pics if you get them. I think I also need to reinforce the chicken wire (walls) of the coop with a double layer, pesky little finches or whatever they are just go right through....yes, I too worry about disease, etc. Ick.

Thanks for all the help, any & all appreciated! [​IMG]

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Here is what I did for my small coop door. I also put a curtain on the inside, making sure that the slits in the shade cloth don't line up.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by