birds for outdoor aviary?

Birdman18

Songster
14 Years
Aug 8, 2008
Queens, NY
Hi,
I'm looking for birds that can be kept outdoors during the winter. I have doves and a parakeet and they all seem to take the cold well, i didn't think the parakeet would live during the winter but didn't seem to do any harm to him. What other birds could be kept outdoors during the winter? I was thinking finches but heard those can't take the cold.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !
wink.png

Quote:
Thanks FireTigeris!! I know that parakeets are native to Australia so if their hardy birds then cockatiels should be too, since their native to Australia as well.

Also if you post what climate zone you are in (I'm subtropical) it might help.( could get away with many tropical birds with appropriate shelter and a heat lamp) be careful that each bird has its own place to go to get away from bigger/smaller birds and each bird has feeding zones in the right place (doves are ground feeder but XXX bird is a canopy feeder)

EDIT: NM I see your location... seems cold for anything tropical/subtropical - some of the mountain birds might do well with NY's humidity and temp changes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom