Birds from Ideal/McMurray/Welp/Meyer Hatcheries

BarredBuff

Songster
10 Years
Dec 6, 2009
If anybody could provide information on the following breeds it'd be much appreciated.

Cornish X, were they a good meatie?
Buff Orps, were they broody and large?
Black Aussies, were they good egglayers and broody?
Thanks BB

Last edited:
Buff Orpingtons from Meyer were not very large and somewhat broody. But not very good healthwise. Will never get a BO again, because when my last one died, it looked so peaceful like it was sleeping. And she was so sweet, even though she hated me. And I just can't deal with that again. Orpingtons are known to be docile and jump in your lap-like, these AREN'T. I don't recommend the BOs from Meyer.

Last edited:
Our Buff Orpington hens came from Murray: They are small for Orpingtons do not lay very well, but will say they have been fairly consistant since it's gotten cooler here in Arkansas. They also do not lay a brown egg, most are a very light cream almost white egg.
Our rooster came from Meyer: Looked more like a Buff Rock than Orpington, he has yellow legs not white.

Haven't had any experience on the other breeds listed.

I had a orderof chickens from McMurray. The Buffs (got 3) were the friendliest chickens. I did handle them alot. I had 2 in particular that were my "pets". For Buff Orpingtons the eggs were a little lighter than usual.Maybe 4-6 pounds. My leghorns were a bit smaller I got quite a few double yolkers from the 3. I usually got I think about 2 a day out of the three. I think I had one of the three that went broody and it wasn't my pet. It was the other one. She stayed on them for about 3 days and quit. That was the only broody I had also. And this was 4 years ago. They were on a scale of 1-10 as
Pets------------------10
Egg Laying----------4
Size-------------------6
Broodiness----------4
Color------------------8
Feed Conversion---3

Also from McMurrays I had gotten the "Free, Rare, and Exotic" chick which just so happend to be a Cornish Broiler haha. Wow thats rare. Anyways he gew huge. I was going to butcher him but he was my friend from basically day one. He always followed me everywhere. So I named him Mr. Meaty. He was the best pet you could ask for out of a chicken. He literally ever where I went there he was. You would feel the ground shake if he got behind and feel a big thud on your legs when he finally got caught up. I had him for 7 months I think and he weighed 16 yes 16lbs. I kept him on a diet so he would live longer. It did make him live longer. He had a huge breast. Huge legs but would sit right next to me and take a nap when I was working in teh garden or something. I believe he died of a heart attack because his breats was very swollen when he passed. On a scale of 1-10
Pet(if you want)--10
Size-----------------10
Food Conversion-6

Here he is when he was a baby(the buffs are right behind him, at the feeder grooming itself and teh other is laying down in the back)
DSCF1554.jpg

Here he is when he was grown
BigChicken.jpg

Never had any Australorps from them. I have 10 from Hoovers that are very pretty. Pretty, big with that greenish sheen and very docile. Not got an egg from them yet.

Last edited:
Quote:
Funny, because the photo shows an oversized hen.
wink.png

HAHAHAHA. It does? I always thought it was a rooster. hold on and I will find a big rooster.

Last edited:
I stuffed him and put him on the side of the road for tourist to see
wink.png
I had to color his tail red.
giant_chicken_062709.jpg

Back
Top Bottom