'Birds getting mean to his girls !?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fishnet1971, Oct 20, 2011.

1. my best boy in the world "Bird, I have noticed, at night is pecking at the girls when they try to get close to him on the roost. What's the deal??? for the last year they have all sat together on the roost with 'Bird in the middle. It seems now that when they try to get on the roost near him after a few seconds he give them this really mean look and peck hard at them. He drew blood on one of my good girls combs last night. I have noticed his agression twords them for the last week or so.

WHY? will it get worse? I dont know know what I would do if I had to put "Bird down....

He has never had a mean bone in his body (except for my husband and he hate each other)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Could he be molting and just grumpy?

3. grumpy is right. he is definitly that. Molting.. hum..... havent thought of that one. He was loosing feathers a few weeks back, and i have felt the new quills on his belley between his legs. I hope that's all it is. He is normally ok with the girls, not to rough or mean with them. Not super easy and nice, but i have heard of worse. I [​IMG] that's it.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The quills you are feeling are the pins that feathers emerge from. He's molting and they get grumpy when they molt.

5. yea, i knew they were the new quills, he is doing a slow molt then. My second one of 12 to do it. My first one went super fast. She dropped 80% of her feathers in a week and grew the others back and was laying again within two weeks after that. I have seen feathers in the floor and in the pen for a month or so with the rest of the flock. I noticed Bird dropped a beautiful tail feather a few weeks back and some fluff as well. Just didnt expect it to take so long. A few of my girls have gotten really sparse patches, but nothing like my first hen. they are all a year and a half old. Yet my old lady who doesnt lay anymore isnt doing anything. Do they still molt after they quit laying????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by