1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Birds in chciken house

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by har, Jan 22, 2011.

1. har

har Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Rogers,Ar
    Anybody have any ideas on keeping starlings out of my chicken house. I open the pop door to let the chickens out to free range and the starlings go in and make a big mess. I am at a loss what to do. I want my chickens to free range but don't want the birds in there for the threat of sickness and etc.

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I had a problem with doves and sparrows getting into the coop. I first made a curtain with strips of shade cloth that hung down over the pop door opening. That eliminated the doves, but the sparrows kept worming their way through. I don't know if the curtain I made would keep starlings out or if they'd be more like the sparrows. I've seen other byc'ers make them from vinyl, which seems to make a better barrier than what I used and I'll bet that would keep them all out. Removing the food was ultimately the best thing I did to reduce the numbers, but I know that is not always an option for some. You can see my byc page for greater detail on how to implement such a door and other things I did to wild bird proof my coop. Good luck!
    [​IMG]

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I have been having the same problem! Twice my Roo and his 14 hens wont go into the coop because a bird is in there!

4. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    I was having the same problem a few weeks ago. I like to leave to pop door open so the girls can go in and out to lay and eat. For a few days I had to put the food away while the door was open. Once the starlings realized the food supply was gone, they went away. I also shot a couple with a bb gun. That is not always an option, but both things seemed to work for me.

5. sweety tweety

sweety tweety Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2011
    i put a fake owel on top of the coop it seemed to help some but i agree food removal works best

6. treehugger777

treehugger777 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Last edited: May 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by