Birds in the Hen House!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Joan, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Joan

Joan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2009
    Hi All,
    After a quiet and healthy summer with our little flock of Golden Comets and Guinea hens had a big surprise the last couple of mornings. Going out with their morning feeding, in the pouring rain- we put the extra food goodies in the coop. On opening the door, it seemed like there was a bird whirlwind inside! Not the hens, but some small birds- perhaps sparrows, starlings or some such.
    When we built the chicken pen, even though we are in a rural area- there seemed to be no chicken wire available. What we used has slightly larger holes than chicken wire. Just big enough to let small wild birds through it seems. I'm guessing we will have to rewire all sides of the pen?
    But how in the heck to we get the wild things out of there first???
    Thanks for any advice!
    Joan, Millie, Tillie, Silly, Jilly, Willie, Billie, TaKleet and Ka-Ching

2. ErieSpurs

ErieSpurs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Elyria, OH
    I've had starlings spend nights in some of my enclosures and coops. They would settle down on rainy/cold/snowy nights to stay warm, but always leave when the sun comes out. I wouldn't worry about them too much, their just trying to stay dry, they'll move on soon enough.

3. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    There always seem to be some type of song bird or other hanging in with my flock when they are ranging and roosting. I've even seen bunnies and squirrels in and among the flock when I throw out some cracked corn or other delectables. I've not had any birds in the coop, but they regularly inhabit the sheltered areas under the deck where the chickens roost and preen after a good forage. I've even had several robins nest right above the coop (its below our deck). Never had any problems with any of them though.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You don't need to re-wire the run, just get you some 1/2" mesh bird netting (in garden section of big hardware stores etc) and apply that to the run, over top of the existing wire mesh. It will keep the birds out and is a whole lot less expensive [​IMG] (won't help vs squirrels, though, alas - they will just rip/chew right thru it)

If you are still having trouble getting the wild birds out of the coop, chase the chickens out into the run, darken all the windows (tape cardboard over them or black plastic bags or whatever) and shoo the birds out. They will aim for the only lighted opening ie the coop door. Once all birds are in the run, close the popdoor. Ideally put the chickens into the coop first, so the run contains ONLY wild birds, but if you don't have cooperative chickens that's ok. Hopefully the sparrows will leave through the run fencing on their own within an hour or two. If they don't, you might *have* to put the chickens in the coop, open the run door, and chase the sparrows out. Then put the bird netting on right away so they can't get back in! [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. Joan

Joan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2009
    Thanks to all! We were afraid that now that winter is coming and the rain/wind nastys are here we would have to immediately take care of this problem with new wire. What good news to find out we don't!
    Can't really blame the little birdies- we have had a Nor'easter camped on top of us for nearly three days now and it has been truly ugly!
    Grateful for your help,
    Joan, Millie, Tillie, Silly, Billie, Willie, Lillie, TaKleet and Ka-ching

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by