Birds Not Growing??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Salt and Light, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    I'm at 8 weeks of raising 15 x-rocks. I've butchered 6 over the past two weeks, picking the biggest birds. I've been waiting for the remaining birds to get bigger an planned on butchering today or tomorrow but the birds just don't seem to be getting bigger. I've been feeding both 18 and 20% starter since they were born. I know others talk about higher protein, but the birds were growing really good, but now I'm not sure. I don't want to go to higher protein, unless I must.

Should I just go ahead an butcher them without worrying about their size? And, I don't really know their exact weight, so I'm just going on apperances.

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

great question. I have my first cornish x and I had come in here to find out what I should be feeding them the last few weeks. Sounds like your doing ok so far, so far mine are 6 weeks and possibly 5 lbs. I plan on giving them cracked corn to fatten them up. Good luck with the knowledge you recieve, I'll probably check back in to see if something works better!

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

4. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:Without seeing your birds it's hard to tell,but maybe they are peaked out already.People are going to disagree but I know my males get bigger faster.So if you are comparing your males and females I think you will see some bigger than others.They will be good to eat though reguardless of their size. Will
    p.s.I'd love to see a picture side by side to tell for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by