birds of a feather...die together???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckcluckgal, Oct 29, 2012.

1. cluckcluckgal

cluckcluckgal New Egg

Sep 17, 2012
    Can anyone out there make sense of this?.... there were 3 hens (rhode island reds) ..1 was given to me at about 6 months old and the other 2 sisters stayed together about a mile away. About a year later the 2 sisters died within a few days of each other of unknown causes. I didn't know about it until mine got sick and died about 2 weeks later...unknown cause. IS there some genetic thing that could've caused all 3 to die so close in time span? None of the other chickens in either flock got sick. Could there be some psycic link connecting them??

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Three hens from the same clutch, dying at about the same time. Could be genetics, especially if no other birds were ill. Psychic connection? No. Your chicken had long forgotten where she came from.

3. cluckcluckgal

cluckcluckgal New Egg

Sep 17, 2012
    THANKS SO MUCH FOR REPLYING...you're my first reply on this site. Cool!
    I find it fascinating that it could be genetics. But do other animal siblings often have equal longevity? Two years old seems super young for all 3 sisters to die. Did the breeder do something to have them be short-lived birds?

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It's hard to know. That it could be something genetic is a shot in the dark, given the fact that no other chickens are sick or have died within that time frame, and that your chicken wasn't living with the other two. Hard to know what may have gone wrong.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I was asking myself the same question several weeks back... I had two EE die on the same day. I can't remember if they were from the same batch, but they did come from the same hatchery. I had necropsies done on both and they both died from very different "things". Both of mine were about four years old...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by