Birds of a feather flock together? Adolescents roost with same sex?

JaneandLizzy

Chirping
13 Years
Mar 26, 2008
Not only have I noticed that the same breeds of my flock hang together often, but I've also noticed that during the transition from chick to adult, the poulets begin to roost with the poulets and the cockerels with the cockerels. Once the mating starts, this ends and they mix it up.

We had two standards of the same breed, who walked side by side most days. Sadly, a neighbors dog got one, and the other seemed to be calling for her and looking for her for some time afterward. The others in the small flock didn't show this kind of behavior.

My multi breed flock isn't always segregated into groups, but it sure happens a lot.

Anyone else notice this?

I have two pullets that were injured in a dog attack, one has a damaged wing, the other has a damaged leg, can't run. They hang out together, and for a long time, the other 12 would be up on the roosts, and these two would sleep on the floor together. Lately though, the bad foot one is sleeping on the roost as well, and bad wing still sleeps on the floor. But, during the day, they are almost always together.

Paging Cyn!!! She needs to post a picture she has of some of her girls. There are six or eight girls sitting on her front porch and they are all arranged by breed and color!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom