Birds plucking feathers

Firework

Songster
11 Years
Nov 30, 2008
Minneeesooodaaa
I have what I think are a Splash Andalusian hen and an Andalusian hen. They are always getting there feathers plucked out by the other chickens they live with. The chickens are not pecking them they are just pulling out and eating their feathers. All the birds have grown up together and we haven’t had a problem with it before. Is there any thing I can do to keep the other birds from plucking feathers from my other birds?

It sounds like your birds could have a protein deficiency. Try feeding them some eggs and food that are high in protein. Some people feed kitten chow as well, although I haven't ever done that myself. That should solve that problem.

You can also try adding Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (BOSS) to their diet. The seeds are whole, in the shell and the chickens love them and they are high in protein and gives them something to peck at instead of one another. Toss them all around on the ground and make them scratch and search for them. Feather picking can quickly escalate to cannibalism so watch them.

Quote:
Why oh why do I always forget to mention the Black Oil Sunflower Seeds?!?! I feed them to my chickens all of the time, but do you think I can remember to tell people about them?!?!
roll.png

Good suggestion there Ruth!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom