Birds plucking feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Firework, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Firework

Firework Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    I have what I think are a Splash Andalusian hen and an Andalusian hen. They are always getting there feathers plucked out by the other chickens they live with. The chickens are not pecking them they are just pulling out and eating their feathers. All the birds have grown up together and we haven’t had a problem with it before. Is there any thing I can do to keep the other birds from plucking feathers from my other birds?

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It sounds like your birds could have a protein deficiency. Try feeding them some eggs and food that are high in protein. Some people feed kitten chow as well, although I haven't ever done that myself. That should solve that problem.

3. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I give game bird conditioner pellets for more protein. I also feed them scrambled eggs atleast once a week. Protein is very important !!

4. hinky toes

hinky toes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    Bozeman, MT
    Are you sure they're not molting? Our birds just started dropping feathers about a week ago.

5. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    You can also try adding Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (BOSS) to their diet. The seeds are whole, in the shell and the chickens love them and they are high in protein and gives them something to peck at instead of one another. Toss them all around on the ground and make them scratch and search for them. Feather picking can quickly escalate to cannibalism so watch them.

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Why oh why do I always forget to mention the Black Oil Sunflower Seeds?!?! I feed them to my chickens all of the time, but do you think I can remember to tell people about them?!?! [​IMG]

Good suggestion there Ruth! [​IMG]

7. Firework

Firework Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    :)Thanks for all the great answers. [​IMG] I plan to try the 'BOSS', cat food, and maybe even the scrambled eggs!!! [​IMG] Thanks again!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by