Birds tasting like what you feed them? (Catfood...)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Bettacreek, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    So, I remember hearing something about birds and their eggs tasting like cat food if you feed them cat food. Is this true? I've been supplimenting my birds (chooks and quail) with cat food to bump protein, but I'm raising my first batch of butcher quail, plus I'm soon going to start eating quail eggs, plus the roos from my chooks that I'm raising. I'm starting to worry about them or their eggs tasting like cat food. They don't get a ton, but I'm still a little nervous about it. Anyone have any experience?

2. Riparian

Riparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    I know many people recomend feeding cat food as a protein supplement, but I advise against it. I used to make the stuff when i worked at the feed mill and IMO its just not formulated for the avian digestive system. Besides, its expensive.

If I wanted to up the protein on my birds, I would feed them soybeans. and you wont have to worry about what their eggs taste like.

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:Do they put "chicken" in cat food?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  4. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    My neighbor feeds his chickens leftover chicken from their dinning table that they killed themselves so basiclly the chicken could be eating its brother or sister. [​IMG]

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Not a chance on the planet that youll notice.

Think about the things chickens eat when you aint looking. Rotten meat, rotten fruit and veggies, bugs, their own poo - all sorts of nasty things.

I think cat food taste might be an improvement, if anything.

6. Riparian

Apr 21, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Quote:Do they put "chicken" in cat food?

sure do. there were two types of chicken by product that I used when working at the mill. feather meal and meat and bone meal. Its funny the way that the feed mill is how we dispose of animal and grain by products.

The formulas that I used to make broiler, layer, beef, dairy, fish and pet food could contain up to 40 to 50 different ingredients. Most formulas will call for 25 kg of this, 50 kg of that, and on and on to make up one ton. we would make up 30 ton orders for broiler barns and the chickens would eat that in less than a week.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    We have a place near here that takes all the dead chickens, cows, horses, road kill, whatever, from agriculture and any other source - and turns it into protein pellets for animal feed.

Cant let this sort of thing go to waste, you know?

8. Riparian

Apr 21, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    [​IMG]

road kill rendering technician... what a job.

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:They actually pay pretty good, from what I hear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by