Birds that are compatible with chickens

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by scratch32, Apr 9, 2017.

1. scratch32

scratch32 Just Hatched

Apr 9, 2017
    I'm building an entirely closed in run and coop for my chickens. It's definitely big enough for bird like a parrot or cockatoo. I'm thinking they would probably stay around the top of the enclosure away from the chickens or would they not get along with the chickens at all?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I really really do not recommend this for several reasons. For one, chickens carry a lot of diseases and parasites that parrots can get. For two, parrots are very territorial birds.

Those are just two reasons why it wouldn't work, but plenty more come to mind. What kind of climate do you have? Would it even be feasible to keep a parrot outdoors year round in your area? Do you have close neighbors? How would they feel about a macaw or cockatoo screaming at the top of its lungs for several hours a day? Would you be able to deal with that?

What about a flock for the parrot? Parrots are flock animals and chickens wouldn't cut it as a flock for them. Would you be getting two parrots? Or would you instead be spending almost all of your time with it? Parrots need constant companionship because that's what they would get from their mate or flock.

These aren't even all the reasons this wouldn't be a good idea but they are some of the important things to consider.

1 person likes this.
  3. scratch32

scratch32 Just Hatched

Apr 9, 2017
    Thank you. I'll just stick with a few chickens for now. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by